Tuesday, October 2, 2012

And Have to Share These

Yesterday I shared with you five websites only two of which do I actually "use" myself. Today I'm going to share a few more, the difference being that I use these websites myself all the time. Like yesterday, this is a going to be pretty eclectic stuff.

1. Coursera
A place for you to sign up to take honest-to-goodness college classes from some of the best universities in the world, such as Princeton, Duke, Stanford, University of London, Caltec, University of Melbourne, and many more. Right now its is heavily math and science skewed in available courses, but there is a goodly selection of humanities and social science courses available. This is the wave of the future in higher ed.

I'm taking a course in Modern Poetry from the University of Pennsylvania which my sister is taking with me simultaneously. I think she would agree it is challenging.

2. The Khan Academy
An entirely different kind of learning place, but just as valuable as Coursera in its way. I thoroughly enjoy their art history lessons. Check this one out on Gustav Klimt's Beethoven Frieze.

Here's a blurb from their site with links: "With a library of over 3,400 videos on everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history and hundreds of skills to practice, we're on a mission to help you learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace." And an explanatory video below. This is a great place.



3. CEO Express
For sheer volume of links, this site has to be seen to be believed. I cannot imagine anyone using it for a home page, but apparently that's its purpose. Claims access to news and stuff for executives, but us ordinary peons can find all kinds of useful links there too.

4. RefDesk
Even more links than CEO Express, this is a long-revered home page site. You can't see the whole thing without scrolling down, and there are a hundred places to snag you and drag you into surfing. I think my son Ben might be using RefDesk for his home page. This striking picture is the National Geographic photo of the day.

Storm near Guymon, Oklahoma
5. Musicovery
I couldn't possibly let you go without sharing one of my favorite music sites. Well, maybe that's an overstatement. But I do listen to a lot of streaming radio. That's what Musicovery is. You get to choose a mood, like "dark" or "energetic", and the radio will play that mood from any of about twenty musical genres. You can limit those, and you can also set up stations of your favorite artists. Check it out.

2 comments:

Montag said...

Thanks for the info, particularly Khan, which is invaluable.

Unknown said...

It's a great place. Glad I could show you.