Just a few random facts are enough to get me worked up . . . until I realize that getting worked up is just an exercise in futility. Because nothing is going to fix this situation until millions of us are worked up by the screaming injustice of it all. To wit:
- The Koch brothers made $3 million an hour last year. The person who served you your food at Denny's or Red Lobster last week made $2.13 an hour (They live on tips, remember.), less than a millionth of the Kochs' hoard.
- Any one of this country's ten richest citizens could pay for a room for every single one of our estimated 633,000 homeless people for an entire year (figuring on about $560 per month).
- The combined wealth of the ten richest surpasses the entire U.S. federal housing budget.
- The poorest 47 percent of Americans own ZERO percent of this country's wealth--because their debts overshadow their income.
- America, land of the free and home of the brave, has the fourth highest level of wealth inequality in the entire world (out of 141 countries).
- For every dollar of assets owned by a single black or Hispanic woman--the average one has about $100 net worth--a member of the Forbes 400 has over $40 million.