Sunday, January 9, 2011

This Insane Country

We are an insane society. After Saturday's shooting in Arizona, of which I'm sure you are all aware--Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, D-AZ, shot point-blank in the head by some miracle survived. She is in critical condition. But the shooting rampage killed 6 other people including a beautiful 9-year-old girl, only a year older than my beautiful, precious granddaughter. Here's pictures of the victims.

The shooter was a 22-year-old right wing nut case. It doesn't matter how many people madmen kill with guns, nothing is going to change. There will be the usual laments about violence--"There's no place for violence in a free society," the president says. But the insane sale of guns to perpetrate the violence to anybody who wants one will continue. On "60 Minutes" tonight there was a story about the mayor of some small city in Mexico being kidnapped and killed by one of the drug cartels. He left behind a wife and three children. The cartels are buying their weapons--military grade automatic weapons, plus everything lesser--in the U.S. We're drenched in killing, brothers and sisters.

I'm so upset about all this I'm incoherent.

UPDATE I: The New York Times has a host of articles on the Arizona shootings here.

UPDATE II: Somebody on FB posted this quote from Michael Moore: ""If a Detroit Muslim put a map on the web w/crosshairs on 20 pols, then 1 of them got shot, where would he be sitting right now? Just asking."

9 comments:

Loretta Markell said...

I agree with you that nothing will happen. The people controlling the media are the same who don't want gun control. If it wasn't so tragic it would make me laugh when the announcers say. "Well, terrorism has been ruled out." It is domestic terrorism and that's the most dangerous kind. Anyone can get an automatic weapon in this country. Insanity is the rule.

MySiteMalixi System Development said...

Nice Post!
I would like to know more about your blog. You may also visit my blog and tell me what you think.

Unknown said...

@Loretta: You know I checked out your art, which is quite nice, and attempted to email you, but the address was no good. It's always heartening to know that there're others out there who think this country has basically just taken leave of its senses. I'm too old now to think that we're going to all of a sudden grow a brain in this country.

@Malixi: Well, welcome to my blog. You can just poke around to get a feel for it. I've been doing this fairly regularly since 2008. I comment on all kinds of things, including, but not exclusively current events. I'll be happy to check your blog out, too.

Montag said...

Right now we are going through the usual suspects, nasty political rhetoric being the main one.

When we realize that we are the culprits ourselves, not our speech, we may make progress.

Unknown said...

Montag, you are a lot more optimistic soul than I. We are not the culprits in this country. We are "exceptional," dontcha know.

Montag said...

Right. Exceptional.
It's one of those O Henry short stories with the twist at the end... we find out that "exceptional" is used in a bad sense.

Loretta Markell said...

Hey, check it out again. I believe the problem has been fixed.

By the way, Paul Klee is one of my favorites. The interpretation of the Angel of History was fascinating.

Unknown said...

I thought so, too. I love all the abstract stuff. Really. I love art in general, and music, and poetry. I guess I'm a thorough gimp that way.

My mom and daughter are both artists. I hack at poetry. That's about as close to art as I get. I also write history, and I like to think that I do that a little better than most contemporaries. But that doesn't make it art. Not by a long shot.

I'm going to give your email address another shot.

Unknown said...

@ Loretta. Tried to contact you at the email address on your site, and it still isn't any good.