Friday, January 21, 2011

Bye Bye, Keith

Many nights I watch Keith Olberman's "Countdown" show on MSNBC. Tonight I did not because after my brother and sister-in-law left this morning for home, after several days Susan and I were in catch up mode with recorded shows. So I didn't see the bombshell he dropped tonight: he is leaving his program on MSNBC effective immediately. I'm sure the reason for this abrupt departure will be forthcoming soon. For the moment all there is a bare announcement that the network and Olberman had ended their contract.

I will miss him. I've heard the guy on the radio also. I can say this: a really forceful voice for the progressives of this country has been silenced. I cannot but think that the executives of Comcast, which recently purchased MSNBC had something to do with this. I'm sure the new guys really couldn't abide his outspoken and biting presentation of the news and his frequent "special comments" on major events. In other words, there's obviously been some kind of break between Olberman and his future bosses. One of the things that makes me fairly certain of this is that the network is vociferously denying it.

Good luck, Keith. I feel sure you're going to be landing on your feet somewhere, and I hope to hear and see you again soon.

Here's what Olberman had to say about the recent killings in Arizona:


2 comments:

karen lindsey said...

not surprisingly, you and i blog on lots of the same things. i was in netherlands when i read about this, and mentioned it in class. two of my students were as upset as i was. he has implicitly compared himself to murrow, and i think very justly. at least we still have maddow, also 'the last word,'which is wonderful. [i decided long ago that everyone who watches maddow, male or female, gay or straight, falls in love with her.]

he'll be back, if only on the internet. but i'd give a lot to see him on tv again.....

Unknown said...

I'm not familiar with "the Last Word."

Maddow is a delight. I've told my wife Susan that it would be great having her over for dinner. She'd be a delightful guest.