Friday, July 31, 2009

Trough of Dark Despair

The title is where I am with this whole health care thing. That is to say, I think health care reform is going to be defeated . . . or, worse, some cumbersome conglomeration of hash will pass that doesn't reform anything and only assists the very people whom health care reform is meant to stymie: big pharm, hospitals, and the health insurance thieves. Of course, the assistance to these enemies of health care reform will be hidden in the depths of the hash. What I'm saying is I don't think the country is going to see any meaningful health care reform, because I define that as legislation that cuts drastically in to the profits of the aforementioned criminals. The ideal, of course, would be a reform that completely eliminates profits in health care, single payer. But that only happens in my dreams and yours.

Robert Creamer has a good piece about health care reform in today's Huffington Post. He still thinks it's possible that reform will pass. He makes the point that's the whole reason I think reform is doomed. The role of fear in the process. The focus is the "four emotions that will drive the outcome of this essentially political battle: fear, anger, hope and inspiration." To me, only the first two are of any real potency. If hope and inspiration are of any meaning at all in an "essentially political battle"--and I don't think they count for much in this one--then they have been drained out of me already.

Here's what I think: there are way too many, millions too many stupid people in this country who are going to be convinced and already are convinced by the unadulterated b.s. being shoveled by the ton by health care reform opponents into every possible medium. All the same tired lies: rationing, loss of choice in doctors, government bureaucrats, etc., etc., etc. The only reason somebody would believe this horse crap is because they're scared. And you can bet the heartless, greedy bastards who are moving heaven and earth to keep the billions flowing into their pockets are going to try to keep everybody petrified with fear. Talk about terrorists.

8 comments:

PostMuse said...

There are too many stupid people who are also just too lazy to actually try to understand the complicated thing call health care reform. Easier to let some ranting radio show host tell them what to do. I am also afraid that what we will end up with is a nightmare, but I cling to the hope that the Obama administration is not stupid, like previous administrations, and we will finally see some change.

Unknown said...

I don't think the Obama administration is stupid, but I do think he will sign a bill that is not what "reform" means to me. "Some change," is not what's required, do you think? We need lots of change.

Montag said...

Consider some typical phrase: health care reform will limit your choice.

What is fearful?

Nothing that I can see.
And if instead of limiting my choice, you deny me care, how does that differ from now, when I cannot afford it anyway?

The fear comes from our frightful lives. It surfaces when we argue and rant at each other in our substitute for dialogue: for we no longer have faith in our ability to make things better.
People who have faith - at least in themselves - are not the fearful creatures we are.

Unknown said...

As usual, your comments are straight on. I can only imagine that you are as appalled as I am by the orchestrated disruption of town hall meetings. Even death threats against some Democratic congressmen!

"Appalled" does not quite capture the depth of my loathing for what this country has become. How, when your political opponent is the current Republican party, can you not just be completely outraged? These are the same people who talk about freedom and adherence to the Constitution! You would think you would hear expressions of outrage from the GOP congressmen and senators, but all I've heard of is a tweet from McCain condemning this stuff. What a country we've become.

Montag said...

There comes a time when people have to fight...
so fight.

The insanes have been buying guns for a year or more...
What did people think was going to happen? The right wing and left lay down like lions and lambs in harmony?
No. We kill those we disagree with. Just ask anyone.

Unknown said...

Well, unfortunately, I will among the first rounded up when the crazies take over. We have truly become unhinged. I can't help but feel everything is just hanging by a thread. And truth be told, I think a large part of this insane reaction by the right is rooted in white racial fear. A black president. Hispanics on the Supreme Court. Their worst nightmares are rising up in the flesh before their eyes.

Montag said...

Amen.
I wonder if this is how the Confederacy felt back in the day? Or the Union?

They decided on internecine slaughter. What shall we choose?

Unknown said...

Very funny you should mention this. I made the very same observation to my grandson.