Sunday, July 19, 2009

New Music Flood

Lateralus by Tool ==>>>

I can think of several things in life bring me right up: having all of my kids together in one place, red beans and rice, my wife's fried chicken, being at the ballpark, finishing a writing assignment, a new book, new music. I've been really blessed in the latter department. I recently discovered that an old grad school bud likes all the same kinds of music as I do: everything. He plays guitar, loves rock music, and has a whole bunch of stuff by bands I've never even heard of. But it so happens I've got a lot of stuff he doesn't have a lot of like blues, reggae, country, and classical. It didn't take us long to figure out that a swap of music would be beneficial to both of us. And we're in for the long haul. I can see a whole bunch of new CDs on the horizon.

Long story short: I got a real jolt of feel-good on Saturday morning when the mail came. I got the first batch of music from him while we were in Louisiana for the funeral. All of it of the rock, metal, alternative variety. Honestly, I had never heard of most of the bands--I suspect my kids and younger readers might know them. But that was the whole point: we're sending stuff the other guy has probably never heard of. I've finished to listening to over half of the 15 CDs by such artists as: Tool, Porcupine Tree, System of a Down, The Mars Volta, Sonny Landreth, and Thenewno2. (Any of you out there heard of these bands? The only ones I knew were Frank Zappa and Gov't Mule.) The long and short of it: I'm pretty tickled with what I'm hearing.

No comments: