Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Blogging


I've been so tied up trying to get my paper done for Saturday's Civil War shindig in Louisiana, I haven't been able to post a blog entry. Would you believe I miss it? This little few minutes a day where I get to say anything I want about anything I want. I'm convinced that to enjoy doing this, you have to have something of the egoist about you, at least have a fairly good opinion of yourself.

Doesn't everybody who blogs expect somebody to read them? I cannot imagine anybody would do this and not expect that somebody out there in the whole wide world would take the time to read. Otherwise why do this? Is not the whole point to communicate with somebody? And in the case of blogs, anybody?

Nobody writes letters anymore. When's the last time you actually got a letter that somebody had written? Blogging, I think, resembles letter writing. In some cases, it can be an intimate form of communication, blogging, that is. In all cases, it's self-revelatory to some degree. And that's because the writer wants to do that. Wants to let you know him or her. In a way, blogging is kinda sad. All these people saying "Here, here I am. This is me." And they don't say it to another real person. They say it to a screen.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Hmmm....or you could say that they're saying it to the many people who will eventually read. Nothing sad about having followers. But I like your theory about blogging taking the place of letter writing.

Unknown said...

I'm not talking so much about the followers. They become like the people you would regularly correspond with if we still wrote letters. I was referring more to the millions of souls out there who write blogs that =nobody= every reads. I would think the odds of somebody =eventually= reading it are good. But, sadly, that could be after the person who originally wrote is dead.