Thursday, June 25, 2009

The King of Pop is Dead

Michael Jackson died today. RIP. He was 50. After reaching a pinnacle beyond which few besides maybe the Beatles and Elvis reached, he led a sad and tortured life for the past 15 years or so. He was rehearsing strenuously for a massive comeback: an unprecedented 50 shows in a London arena. No official word on his death, but his abuse of prescription drugs was well known.

Most people will think of one of the huge hits off his "Thriller" album when they think of his music. But for me the two songs below are the ones I think of. Both of them still give me chills and sometimes, like now, make me cry.



I recognize almost everybody, but don't know two or three. How about you?



UPDATE I: Andrew Sullivan has a sensitive and insightful take on Michael Jackson. I agree with it.

No comments: