Saturday, March 17, 2012

This is the True America . . .

I present for your edification, if `have not already seen and been repulsed by them already, some samples of the voices of the true America. The one we like to pretend is not really out there, or that if we do admit it's out there, tend to minimize its size and significance. I have always contended, contrary to all the accepted American mythology we so love to rehearse at every opportunity, that the true a America is the one that's talking right here, the racist one with the killer's soul. Ever since Susan and I were talking politics a couple of years ago with a distinguished Oklahoma guy in a swimming pool at a quite nice house at a quite nice party, and the subject was the various ills of the country, and the solution this distinguished Oklahoma gentleman offered was: "First we have to get rid of this nigger president." Well, since then the looming meanness and violence at the heart of the true America has seemed all that more evident to me. So here are a couple of the latest bumper stickers you can plaster on your SUV:

You would proudly drive around with this on your car, right?

Or this?

This kind of thing is exhibit A as to the truth of my oft-repeated observation: we are a doomed country.

4 comments:

Montag said...

A good reason not to talk politics. We always end up with my wife asking people how they can be a church deacon on Sunday morning and spew hatred the rest of the week... and so on.

We don't lose any friends; hers are tight with her, and I'm too annoying to have any in the first place...

I dunno... WWJD? What Would Jesus Do? I guess I'll do that next time: say, do you think Jesus would put a bumper sticker that that on his car?
If they say He dern-tootin' would, there's not much left to say.

Unknown said...

I've come to the conclusion that there is an almost total disconnect between the Christianity our "Christian" nation professes to believe and what Jesus was all about. I'm just about positive Jesus would not sanction bumper stickers of any kind, and the ones in question here would outrage him. Seems to me he was all about acceptance of people, but what do I know?

Montag said...

You know a good deal more than the people using those bumper stickers.

I wonder what it would be like to live in a town where such things were acceptable. Probably like a Twilight Zone episode.

Unknown said...

Do you really live in a place where such bumper stickers would be verboten? Should I remind of the truth that the US is one red neck from sea to shining sea? or are you in some isolated offshoot somewhere. :-)