Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm Not the Only One

Precisely!
The editorial cartoon above is brilliant. Capturing without a word the overarching truth about bin Laden's death. An act of vengeance disguised as something that advances the cause of liberty.

I didn't think I would be when I wrote yesterday's piece, but there had not yet been time for others to get out there and say the same kind of things I have been thinking. For example, Phyllis Bennis writing for the Institute of Policy Studies, wonders about Obama's claim that the killing of bin Laden somehow represented justice. And this piece by David Swanson who writes "Nothing is actually resolved, nothing concluded, and nothing to be celebrated in taking away life. If we want something to celebrate here, we should celebrate the end of one of the pieces of war propaganda that has driven the past decade of brutality and death."

3 comments:

Karen Lindsey said...

i can't say i'm sorry he's dead, but if there is 'celebrating' to do, it should be solemn and meditative, not prancing around the streets and shouting like your team just won the world series. even if it needed to be done [and on a practical level, i don't see how it did], it's a killing, and that, at best, is a tragic thing to need. i hope you don't mind but i sent your post to facebook. this sort of response is important for people to see.

Unknown said...

I don't mind at all, although I suppose we both should prepare to hear the outcry from the Yahoos about this.

karen lindsey said...

not so much with my facebook friends [s]. a lot of them are my students/ex-students, and the rest tend to be pretty like-minded or at least open-minded. i've seen some good responses there to my own blog comments, included one about the osama death, and various sent postings from more liberal-to-leftist publications. i had a horrible feeling sunday night that i was the only one not jumping for joy, but i've been pleasantly surprised...