Monday, December 6, 2010

An Alice in Wonderland World

Although he has done it over and over for the past two years, I cannot believe Obama's craven surrender to the vile set of harpies that comprise the majority of the Republican party and 100 percent of their leadership. We learn today that Obama has reached agreement with these same set of rogues on a "compromise" on the Bush tax cuts . . . i.e., an extension of them for two years for everybody, including the millionaires and billionaires who received massive tax cuts under George Bush.  One of the commentators I read a day or so ago observed that this postponement of the restoration of the rates for the rich to what they were before Bush lowered them is simply a stopgap for the Republicans. Who once they are in charge of everything--and make no mistake, Obama will be a one-term president and the Republicans will sweep all before them in 2012--will make the tax cuts for their masters permanent. This the reason it's so damn foolish and craven now to give in to these bastards.

The whimper we're hearing from the White House is that "this is the best we could get." Well, boys and girls, that's el toro ca-ca. It's not the best he can get. The best he can get can be had, but he has to shove it down the Republicans throats. That's the last thing this wimp Obama is going to do. If this president had a set of gonads, he would hold firm on this pledge during the campaign--remember that? He said he was going to roll these tax cuts back completely.--and force the miserable Republicans to actually filibuster against a tax break for millions and millions of struggling middle class people. And then let those tax-cut fiends in the Republican party actually have to stand up and tell us why they oppose tax cuts for people who really need them unless the richest two percent of the population get their "bonus" reinstated too. It's ludicrous. But we live in an Alice and Wonderland world now.

Can you tell I'm a little angry at this turn of events? Even though I knew this was coming--I know who Obama is now--it still just frosts the hell out of me. I would not vote for this guy again if he was running for sewer commissioner.

6 comments:

Montag said...

Not only is the tax-cut an ineffective stimulus (trickle-down type), but it shows that there is no serious desire to balance the budget unless it hurts the middle-class - precisely because we are powerless; i.e., there is no one representing us in Washington.

They will hack away at us, but the rich and the military and the political class will be unscathed.

It is this reality which leads me to understand that the Republicans will not sweep all before them in 2012. Rather, they both will be swept away, and soon.

(The divine terrorism of John Brown comes to mind. John Brown had his own form of Fight Club for his sons and followers, whose lives were not easy in his cause.)

(apologies for many deletions. Some of my fingers are bandaged and typing can be a chore.)

Unknown said...

See post for today. It's even worse than I thought. I hope you are wrong about the Republicans being swept away in 2012. (I can't believe I just typed that.) Why? Because if both of the major parties are swept away--I cannot see the Dems winning, can you?--they will be replaced not by virtuous reformers, as you devoutly believe, but by insane Tea Party-like fascists who will begin purges in the name of God and flag. That's where I think we're going. We're careening towards what has always been latent in this society: a repressive, self-righteous, racist and millennialist country with a True Believer dictator in charge. All the signs are there, my friend, but I truly hope I'm a lousy prophet.

What did you do to your fingers?

Montag said...

Oh, I did my yearly putting up Mom's Xmas outdoor lights on a cold, cold day. She puts them on a large bush with sharp appendages and I am squeezed between it and a prickly barberry.
I bleed a bit.

Baysage, I never believed any of this would be replaced by virtuous reformers. John Brown may have been God-ridden, but "virtuous" is too small a word for his divine madness.

I see something much worse, something from our darker stories. And it won't be the Tea Party. A lot more is coming down that terrible road we haven't even dreamt of.

Tanya said...

Well, you two are just a ray of sunshine. =)

Unknown said...

Tanya,

Sorry. This is the voice of experience and (maybe) wisdom talking with both we two. You would not believe how distressed I am about the world we are bequeathing to you and your kids. I know a little history, and I know what happens in times of distress. I would love to think I'm wrong about the times of distress that are coming, but I don't think I am. The country is on a collision course with =real= troubles unless it wakes up. And I just don't see that happening.

Montag said...

Tanya is right. And I for one am tired of living "where the sun don't shine".

No more politics-we know where that's going and it deserves a somber tone. I'm going to have fun.