Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hey, Look! New Look

After almost 520 posts, I decided to change the look of "Powderfinger." My dozen or so regular readers will finally have something new to look at up top. The changes don't really amount to much, but they give the blog a bit more character and eye appeal up at the top. At least I'd like to think so. First of all, the blog title has been extended by insertion of an explanatory, and I hope sufficiently descriptive, phrase about the content of the blog. Actually, I made this change at the prompting of my son, who advised that I'd garner more readers if I had words in the title that search engines hit on. And who doesn't want more readers? I played around with putting the word "politics" in there--"What's Left in Politics and Other Observations from the Dying Empire" and variations--but this is way too clunky. So we'll have to see what happens on this. I'd be lying if I said I was not skeptical.

Then there's the background photo to the title: a city in a dense fog. This is apt metaphor for the general state of things everywhere, I think. Finally, color of the title font is slightly different and the Neil quote is in bold. I wish I could get the title more towards the center of the photo background, but I don't think you can do that in this program. Nor can I get "--Neil Young, etc." all on one line. I suppose such a thing could be done by somebody accomplished with HTML, but that ain't me.

Let me know what you think of the new look. If you don't like it, please say so. If enough people don't like it, I'll take it down.

3 comments:

Montag said...

I like it, but.....

the font color on the title is not sufficiently bright to stand out from the background. It seems to disappear on the left side.

Unknown said...

I'll fix it. Thanks.

Montag said...

excellent.

from the winter fog
come news of Empire;
the streetlamps aren't lit!