Monday, December 7, 2009

Let There Be Music!

Here's a great band I just discovered, Los Lonely Boys, siblings from San Angelo, Texas. Well, I didn't discover them just this minute, but a few days ago when my Louisiana bud's latest batch of swap CDs arrived. The periodic swaps we do have been an education for me. Enjoy!


 
There's no end to the wonderful music out there. One of the blessings of my life is the wide taste I have for music. I spent a couple of hours tonight watching Barenboim on Beethoven on PBS. The maestro played five of the piano sonatas, including a just astonishing performance of "Appassionata" ("Sonata No. 23 F minor," Op. 57). You can listen to his performance of Sonata No. 20 right here. I'd put the video up, but it's dinky. There's nothing wrong with the sound though. You should definitely try and catch this program on its next go 'round.

I don't know what I'd do without music . . . or books. Both take me away, which is sometimes not a bad prescription at all.

No comments: