Friday, February 10, 2012

The Daily Walk

Today was a really cold day. But no mind. Prozac, the Boston terrier, and I trekked our daily 30-minute walk anyway. Scarf, gloves, the whole bit. They--whoever "they" is; you never know--say that you do some exercise for two weeks, and it becomes something you need to do. I don't know about that part, but I can say in the 3+ weeks I've been making this daily walk, I do feel a lot better. Not sluggish. Not so resigned to the idea that I'll never be able to shed pounds again. As a matter of fact, as of this morning, I've dropped 8 pounds. Not just walking has done it. I've been limiting myself to 1,300 calories a day and have been religious about counting them.

Anyway, Prozac is always ready to go walking. Just the idea of it sets her aquiver. It's one of her two favorite things--excluding food, which is every dog's favorite thing--the other being going for a ride in the car. She gets really excited about the prospect of either. Which makes me think again about what dogs can teach us about how to approach life. Always stay in the now. Enjoy the enjoyable things. Stretch fully. Keep your loved ones close, and always keep to the left.

4 comments:

frank said...

Keep walking at all costs. It will do wonders for you the more you keep it up. I always try to get in at least 2 miles or an hour whichever comes first. But I do try to avoid sub 30 degree days. Plus I'm on my feet all day at work and I easily cover a mile or two everyday there.

Is your dog depressed?

Unknown said...

Well, I'm retired, but the job I had, I sat a lot. I think I've actually crossed some kind of Rubicon with this walking . . . it's going to be a continuing activity.

LOL. No Prozac is not depressed. She keeps me from getting that way.

Montag said...

Interesting. It is indeed the curtailing of calories which does it.

Very recently - I think it was in The Guardian newspaper from the UK - reports on the health benefits of fasting:
fast one day of two days a week (500 calories) and eat as you wish the other days.
This does not lead to weight-loss, but augments other good things... brain function, etc.
Check it out.

Unknown said...

I'm almost finished an article in Harpers that says long fasts, 30-40 days can be beneficial. That's really something if so.