Friday, April 1, 2011

Opening Day Revisited

Today is the first game for my Texas Rangers. They, like many other teams, did not open their season yesterday, but will start today in Ranger Ballpark down in Arlington, Texas. I am recording the game as we speak so I can watch it later and zip through all of the commercials. Without really meaning to, I learned that the score as the game is in progress is not good: Boston is up 4-2 in the fifth. :-(

But I really didn't mean to talk about the Rangers. What I did want to say was that for the first time in my life and love affair with baseball, which, by the way, stretches all the way back to 1954 when I was 11 years old, for the very first time I am involved this year in a fantasy baseball league, which adds another whole dimension to the game's inherent interest during the season. For those of you reading who may not understand what fantasy teams are, I can explain in a few words. You have a team composed of real players. How well your team does depends on how well these real players do during the season. Before the season starts you and everybody else in your league picks the players that will be on their fantasy team. That's really all you have to know. During the season some of your guys will get hurt and go on the disabled list (DL). You have to find ways to work around things like this. You can trade players or acquire players who are not connected with another team throughout most of the season. What makes my fantasy league even more fun is that both my sons are in it. So I'm really looking forward to the season.

I tell you all this because doubtless through the next few months I'll have occasion to comment on how my fantasy team--they are called the "Creaky Geezers"--is faring. For those who might be the least bit interested, the best guys on my team are Joey Votto at first, Adrian Beltre at third, Matt Holliday in the outfield and Cole Hamels, starting pitcher. Just like the actual Rangers, the weakest part of my team is pitching. Of course I don't expect to win anything this first time out in fantasy baseball. My goal is just to finish in the top five of this ten-team league. That's probably doable.

3 comments:

StuD said...

10 team league...and breaking news, Matt Holliday is on the DL.

Positive Thoughts said...

Love lifts us up where we belong. God bless you. See the power of Positive thinking within you. Please follow my blog. Positive Thoughts

Unknown said...

Thank you, Positive. Fixed, Stu.