Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Well, Welcome Back!

No, brothers and sisters, I haven't given up blogging. Nor have I just been remiss about posting. No . . . I, or should I say my computer, has fallen victim to a pretty vicious virus. This sucker--I forget the name of the damn thing--shut down everything. Not a single program would run--Internet? Forget it. MS Office? Nope. First gone: the anti-virus program. Nothing, but nothing would run. Big ole banner on the screen telling me I had infected files. Previously a program "scanned" the computer and reported I had 38 infected files, but . . . and here's a surprise . . . for only $59.95 I could buy a program to make my computer all well again. Well, shit! no way. Truth is, it cost me more than that to have this miserable thing scrubbed from my computer. Geeks at the repair place said the whole purpose of this virus is to steal your money, i.e., get your credit card number. Guy also told me that 1 out of 1,000 will actually give these people a credit card number. Proof positive that you cannot go broke betting on the idiocy of some people.

But think for a moment about the scabrous lowlifes who produce these viruses. What kind of creep deliberately breaks the stuff of millions of people he doesn't even know? It is a great evil that these people do. Utterly despicable when you think about it. But nobody does. These evil people doing these evil things on the Internet are just part of the deal. Like lies from politicians, hypocrisy from the clergy, self-righteousness from the right and left. Gives me a frigging headache.

5 comments:

Montag said...

Welcome back!
Computers usually go down a couple of weeks before you need all that precious digital information you have stored on them. I know mine did. I have not replaced it really, other than using a Dell 1998 with Windows Millenium when my wife kicks me off the lap-top.
It actually works, although a lot of bells and whistles will not. I can read the news and blog, if needed.

This brings me back to possible dangers of losing books and newspapers to the victorious electronic media....
I think there are a lot of dangers when the power goes out or the scabrous infiltrate into such homely pursuits as reading the news.

Unknown said...

It's still not working right. Access to the Web has been intermittent. Crazy. As for backup, I have that done automatically by an outfit called Carbonite. Costs me a little less than a dollar a week for perfect piece of mind about my data. Well worth it. I have over 10,000 music files, for example, and a ton of baseball related stuff.

Cannot believe you're working with such relics as a 1998 computer. Maybe you should consider an upgrade, eh?

I think the demise of books and newspapers as we know them is an inevitable process. Alas.

Montag said...

I use the Laptop with Windows 7 mostly. I may get another laptop. It is handy. I've moved my printer to an out-of-the-way spot and wander over only when I need to and plug in.
Or I may get my wife and iPad and inherit the laptop.

You'll be singing a different tune in 10 years when everything is steampunk and we've reverted back to the 1930's.

Unknown said...

I would really like an iPad, but they are dear and for them to be of any real use, you have to subscribe for Net access to the tune of about 20 bones a month.

I'm sure the Tea Party when it takes control will ban all use of the Net. You're right. We'll all be singing a different tune then.

Montag said...

Probably the "Horst Wessel Lied"