Friday, October 22, 2010

There's Only One Story Today

About 3-4 seconds after the final out in Texas 6-1 win over NY Yankees
that sends the team to the World Series for first time ever.
This is the whole story here: a picture of how all Ranger fans feel.
 My Texas Rangers are going to the World Series!!
It was not even close tonight. Yankee manager Joe Girardi said it best after the game: "They out-hit us, they out-pitched us, and they out-played us." Precisely. You do that and you're going to win baseball games. I have been waiting with my two sons for this day since the early 1980s. It is really impossible to say what this feels like. I've been following the Rangers since the early 1980s, and from that time to this have endured some really crappy baseball teams. Somehow all that is background. Everything that's happened before now seems like it was pointed just to this moment, when all the heartache, disgust, and bone-weariness with losing, with errors, with sloppy base-running, and more than anything else, awful pitching. All that. It's all gone. This team is so together, there's such unmatchable chemistry that--you heard it here first--the Rangers will win the World Series (against either the Philadelphia Phillies or the San Francisco Giants, it's not decided yet) in fewer than seven games. This is a team of destiny.

Here's the box score and play-by-play.

3 comments:

Montag said...

Congrats.
Party Time. Enjoy like we enjoyed the '84 Tigers!

Unknown said...

I am ecstatic for you, Tommy. I think both our New Orleans Saints and (I have to admit) your Rangers (since I'm not much of a baseball fan) have been teams of destiny. You've had such a good year in sports! And you are headed to your bucket-list World Series game to boot!
Go Rangers!

P.S. The more I hear about the team and the Rangers organization, the more I think they are, indeed, destined.

Unknown said...

I'm so blown away I don't know what to say. This is quite an unknown position for a Ranger fan to be in. Literally. I've had a year in sports that will not ever be repeated. There's only one first time to be in the game for all the marbles.

There are a number of interesting stories about the Rangers. If you want some uplifting stuff, read about Josh Hamilton. And the manager Ron Washington is a black guy from New Orleans who is rebuilding his house destroyed by Katrina. He's an interesting story, too.