Saturday, October 23, 2010

Now This is Strange . . .

For the first time since starting the blog over two-and-a-half years ago now, I had to leave it for over two weeks without making a single entry. (It was traumatic, let me assure you. Like leaving the baby unattended for a couple of hours.) And then, I come back and I notice that overnight (almost literally) I have gained four or five new "followers". This, after going along for months and months with just a handful, and after the longest period I've ever let the blog languish in silence. I don't know about you, but I consider ten more than a handful. How many actually is handful? Who knows? (An old friend of mine with whom I used to consume vast quantities of beer used to debate exactly how big was a shit-load. We never came to a definitive resolution of that conundrum either, other than to conclude it was pretty many.)

But I digress . . . I've always wondered what it was about these daily ramblings that anyone finds interesting, especially people who aren't related to me in some way or another. These I number among followers too, but they are there maybe from interest but also from some vague sense of loyalty I would imagine. (I assume "interesting" is the proper adjective, although there are many adjectives that could describe why someone could be following a blog besides "interesting." Habit-forming, perhaps, or intoxicating or magnetic or gripping or . . .  well, you get the point.)

So I come back to Oklahoma from the European travels and lo, about five more people are following "Powderfinger." I don't know why, but it pleases me considerably to learn that anybody, even relatives, finds what I have to say interesting (there's that word again) enough to check in here regularly or even sporadically on a regular basis. But upon reflection I remember something that I've always said: nobody is boring. Not a single person. Everybody and everybody's life is a completely unique story and is inherently interesting. Hearing stories about who people are and their lives is never boring unless the story-teller is not too skilled in the telling. But that doesn't make the life any less inherently interesting. By my own theory, even my

So the point of all this is just to say hi to all those who've recently hooked up with "Powderfinger" for whatever reason. I'm glad you dropped by.

No comments: