Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Multiple Related Predicaments

That's what James Kuntsler is writing about this week, a recurring theme. Both the predicaments and the American people's heedless inclination to ignore all the warning signs and go about their lives as if nothing is wrong--except maybe this little economic problem with the unemployment and all. But that will get better. It always does. So let's go watch the NFL and have another beer. There's another reaction going on in the country, but it's assuredly not about Kuntsler's predicaments. I'm referring to the Tea Party madness, which has managed to topple several establishment Republicans in primaries for the Senate and House. I'm still trying to figure out what these people want other than no taxes and as little government as possible. They want "to take our country back." Kuntsler had a great observation about these fruitcakes this week:
"And the Tea Party aims to fix all this, to make things right again. I listen to their blather about "freedom" and all I can imagine is the sound of boots outside the door, and men in badly-fitted camo uniforms and buzzcut hair commanding me to accept John Boehner as my personal savior. Pardon me, but I don't see how this will really improve anybody's lot in life."
Before I get to wound up about these people, let me get back to the point. The three related predicaments: 1) energy resources, 2) vanishing capital, 3) ecocide. The inability of the leadership "to decode the clear and present dangers to civilized life is a failure of leadership and authority without precedent in the American story."

No comments: