Saturday, September 18, 2010

Getting Psyched

The last time I was in Europe was in 2004, I think it was, when I was in Oberammergau, Germany, in the dead of winter on TDY trip for my work. So I am excited as the time for Susan and my trip to Europe approaches. Susan and I have not been there together since we left Germany in 1992. Since I'm not an owner of highly portable electronics upon which to post blog entries from the far corners of the earth, "Powderfinger" will be shutting down a week from tomorrow, on September 26, and it will be down until October 16 or 17.

In the meantime getting spun up for the trip is exciting. I had no idea that there was so much travel-specific stuff out there. When we lived in Europe, we just had our own stuff. Going over for two weeks and traveling as light as possible necessitates some stuff we didn't have. Like an umbrella that opens to 42-inches but skinnies down to a small cylinder about as big around as a coffee mug and maybe 8 inches long. Like a travel vest with 22 pockets where you can carry everything from travel documents to a water bottle, camera to i-Pod and ear plugs. There's even a pocket big enough to accommodate an i-Pad. It's actually what you use to carry all your carry-on stuff. I love containers--just ask my kids--so you can imagine how thrilled I am with this vest. I also got a back pack which will be luggage. I didnt' have any real idea how spacious the thing was, and once I found out, I stopped worrying about having enough room.

Itinerary in Ireland: Dublin, Galway, Kenmare, Kinsale, Kilkenny, and back to Dublin's environs. Then we fly to Spain to Seville. It's trains in Spain. Next Cordoba, then Madrid for about three-and-a-half days. I've really enjoyed reading up on a lot of these places. Of course now with the Net, you can never get to the end of what you can find out about other parts of the world without even leaving your desk. We live in an amazing world.

No comments: