Monday, November 5, 2012

Duh! Really?

And while we're on the subject of legalizing marijuana--see yesterday's post here--there's another benefit to the whole proposition that I should mention. I've done so several times before, but not yesterday. And that, brothers and sisters, is the fact that legalizing the weed here cuts into the profits of the Mexican drug lords. They provide 40-60 percent of the U.S. pot, and I didn't realize that marijuana sales, about $2 billion, are almost as important to the Mexican drug traffickers as cocaine, $2.4 billion. See here. One of the strongest arguments for legalization is to take the profit out of pot for the criminals. I read somewhere, and I'm sorry I don't have the reference at hand, that some estimates are that the murder rate in the U.S. would drop 25-75 percent if marijuana were legalized. Even on the low end, the figure is astounding. The blood that's spilled in this insane pursuit of the impossible.

No comments: