- Percentage of independent political spending on television advertising in the past year that came from anonymous donors: 91 [Positively astonishing! And this is a democracy??]
- Number of college graduates currently working as astronomers, physicists, chemists, and mathematicians, or Web developers: 216,000
- As waiters or bartenders: 216,000
- Number of the 30 occupations with the largest projected job growth over the next decade that require a college degree: 4 [Really??]
- Number of dolphins found dead in the Gulf of Mexico since BP's 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill: 496
- Factor by which the rate of dolphin death during this period exceeds the average: 4
- Minimum amount Georgia has lost in fruit and vegetable sales since the passage of a a 2011 anti-immigration law: $75 million [Absolutely worth it to keep those damn illegals out, one supposes]
- Percentage of American households made up of just one person in 1950: 9.3
- Today: 27 [Not sure what this means . . . what do you think?]
- Factor by which a religious website is more likely than a pornographic site to infect a computer with malware: 3 [Ditto]
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Not to Harp on It . . .
Latest facts from Harper's Index. Almost all of these entries are either scary, unbelievable, or just plain stunning. What they have in common is that they're all true.