Wednesday, April 18, 2012

It's This Easy

It's just this easy to blow off . . . what? . . . almost a week of blog posts. A few times during this silence I've told myself I ought to be making a blog entry today. But today slipped into tomorrow and then the next day and before you know it, I've been gone a week from these entries, almost as if I were out of town, which I soon will be for a good period of time off and on over the next few months. Next week, a week from tomorrow, Susan and I head up to Gettysburg. Here I am, a professional Civil War historian and I've never seen anything but photographs of the most famous battlefield in the United States. I'm going to try and resume normal production, but I'm about to enter a period of heavy travel. About a week after Gettysburg, it's to Florida to see my boys, then at the end of May, first part of June in Louisiana, then for two weeks in July to Canada, then a wedding in Houston in September . . . I'll miss lots of blogging during those times.

3 comments:

Montag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Montag said...

Gettysburg is so phenomenally cool!

The first time we went there, it was in disrepair and the eternal flame was out for a long time since! But it was great.

The second time we went, everything was in good repair and we loved it!

I was overwhelmed at the Pennsylvania Memorial when I was really young, and the same feeling was not there the second time, but...

there was still a sense of being within the parliament of the brave dead.

Unknown said...

I am really getting pumped about going. I've booked up on the battle, so it's all fresh in my mind . . . I'm born in Vicksburg, so I know that park thoroughly. It always gave me chills to see the earthworks still visible after 150 years.