Thursday, June 16, 2011

A List

Things I find hateful:

  • broccoli
  • hyper-patriotism
  • roaches
  • people who abuse sales clerks and waiters/waitresses
  • the New York Yankees
  • being clumsy
  • watching the Texas Rangers or LSU Tigers lose (especially to the New York Yankees and Alabama or Florida, respectively)
  • incomprehensible poetry
  • hypocrisy
    • political
    • religious
    • moral
  • the idea of Wal-mart
  • Wall Street fat cats
  • wildlife poachers
  • all varieties of people and institutions that despoil the environment
  • liars generally
  • boredom
  • being hurried up when I'm already hurrying
  • people who blather on the telephone
  • Fox News
  • vincible ignorance about ordinary stuff
  • militarism and racism
  • sweet potatoes
  • knowing that I will never, ever be caught up on reading
  • sex traffickers 
  • the entire airport/air travel experience
  • people who are cruel to animals
  • waiting somewhere with nothing to read
  • anti-immigrant nut cases
  • knowing that I've left probably half a dozen things off this list

2 comments:

karen lindsey said...

it's a wonderful list, and pretty much what i'd do, except for me instead of ny yankees, it would be all sports except figure skating, and baseball especially since when there are games in boston i invariably get sardined into the subway car with people in various garment signifying red sox, and loud voices. i imagine that you would disagree about sports in general [s]. i love that you put broccoli first. it's a cruel and vicious substance, though i might argue that brussell sprouts and cauliflower are even worse.....

as to the 'book' question[s] i am ambivalent. i have a huge shelf of unread books, and i realize that if i coiuld do nothing for the next 20 years but read them, i'd never finish it off. but on the other hand it's wonderful to know that there is always something there for the rare moments i get bored.

boredom is wonderful! not the feeling, but your listing it. i've had the luck in my life to rarely be in either personal-time boredom or work boredom, but there are always those situations-you-can't-get-out-of experiences, and i get antsy and [with a lower case] depressed in them. [very connected, i'd add 'parties' to my own list.] anyway, i love your [very unboring] list...

Unknown said...

The more I get to know you, Karen, the more I see we have in common. On sports in general, I could truly live without all of 'em but baseball. I'm not all that big a sports fan. I don't follow basketball at all. Have only a mild interest in pro football, and that is centered around the New Orleans Saints. Ditto college football and LSU.

I too am rarely bored, but when I am, I really resent my time being wasted. And you are right: those can't-avoid situations are deadly. I don't mind parties, if I know a lot of the people there, but that is rarely the case.

Glad you liked the list.