Sunday, June 26, 2011

Disgusted

Oh, there's a lot going on in the world. New York passes a gay marriage bill. And I read that we taxpayers are paying more for air conditioning the troops in Afghanistan & Iraq than we are for the entire NASA budget. (Are you frigging kidding me??) Just roll that one around in your head for a second or two. Does it give you a headache? All kinds of other stuff happening, too.

But what's really on my mind right now is the drubbing the Texas Rangers have taken over the last four games they have played. The team looks like crap of late. (I have noted before how one's feeling of well-being and contentment if one is a baseball fan is directly proportional to the fortunes of your team.) All at home. And against a couple of chump teams: the Houston Astros and the New York Mets. The Rangers managed to win 1 of these games. It was my painful experience to watch two of these games. The last game of Houston series, game 1 in this stretch of 4, the Rangers blew in the top of the 9th inning. The closer, Nephtali Feliz, has a meltdown and gives up 4 runs. And the last game of the 3-game series against the Mets today was just a horror show. Mets little dribbly-ass hits rolling through the infield. At least three atrocious calls by three different umps, all of which cost Texas runs. Sloppy defense. I don't even want to talk about it anymore.

Just one more thing. I wonder what kind of penalties are attached for ballplayers to say that the umps made some awful calls? Both Ron Washington, Ranger manager, and Derrick Holland, the Ranger pitcher, refused to say anything about the awful umpiring. Is it about later retaliation? Hell, Washington got tossed out of the game. Anybody watching knew what he thought of the calls.

Here's the article that got me to thinking along these lines. The whole damn thing was disgusting.

2 comments:

Montag said...

I am actually going to a Tigers game; I started a boycott years ago for a number of reasons, all of which are still rankling me, but others wish to go.

A/C isn't cheap. Give up your dreams of the sun and stars. Embrace the war culture.

Unknown said...

Enjoy the game. The Tigers always give my Rangers trouble. They are one of three teams we are not positive against this year.