Saturday, June 11, 2011

Addictive

Sometimes nice thing happens when you're out of town. A really nice thing happened for me while I was in Louisiana. My iPad2 arrived. (A gift to myself with the honorarium from the talk in Hammond.) All the way from China. Well, it wasn't exactly while I was gone to be precise. UPS attempted to deliver the thing last Friday, but since no one was here to sign for it, they left only a notice and I had to make arrangements for it to be brought here on Tuesday, when I was sure to be home.* I have to say, I've been pretty much entranced with the thing since. I'm right now, five days later, just getting to the point where I can initial set-up has just about finished. You know, all that stuff you have to go through when you get a new computer (laptop, smart phone, tablet, etc.): getting to know the device, setting up where you want all the applications, playing with them and others, and generally learning how the new toy works.

There are all kinds of excellencies about this device, not the least of which is that I can access the Internet now from anywhere in my house, which means I will be able to spend more time in the same room with Susan. The way our house is situated when I'm sitting at the computer I'm away from the kitchen/living room where my spouse is most of the time (when she's not outside puttering around in the garden/yard, which she does a lot). Her laptop is there. So closing that physical separation will be nice.

Plus, of course, there are literally over 300,000--I think that's right--apps (applications) that running independently accomplish about any task you can think of.

I'm still having some glitches getting everything to work the way it's supposed to, but I can tell you now, friends, these things are addictive.

*And as luck would have it, the iPad I got had a defective wall plug-in so the damn thing would not charge up. I had to drive 30 miles to the nearest Apple store to get a replacement plug.

No comments: