Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm Just Having a Blast Today

. . . thinking about Susan and my trip to New York City tomorrow. Although well into my 60s, and not a person who's been a stay-in-one-place guy, I have never been to NYC. I'm finding that rather incredible now as I'm spending hours scoping out everything there is to see and do on Manhattan Island--let alone the boroughs, which we won't even see, except for a ball game at Citi Field. (Cannot go to a major league town without seeing a major league game. It's just not done.) I don't think time will allow for us to go to the Botanic Garden in Brooklyn--that's a next time visit--what with all the other things to see. Museums especially: the MoMA, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim. Eating, of course, and just soaking in a magnificent city. I can tell already from all the poking around about New York that I've done on the Web today, that I'm just going to love this place. We're leaving tomorrow, and we'll be back next Monday. I've scheduled blog entries for the next several days, but I don't think I'll have all the days covered. I might miss a couple, if I don't find something engaging to put up there between now and shutting down time.

Update I: Driven idiot that I am, I did find enough to cover all the missing days. See ya for real when I'm back next Monday.

3 comments:

Montag said...

Hey, we're going to DC. Let's meet for lunch in Cape May, NJ...

Just A Passerby said...

Omgosh!! I SO know what you mean with what you wrote about your realization now to be "incredible" that you've not already been to NYC before now. I JUST RECENTLY returned from my first visit to New York, we're talking mere weeks ago, and I didn't do any sort of pre-flight research studying about the city at all. lol

But it was, to quote you again, just incredible!! You know what really impressed me the most about Manhattan? This sounds really stupid, but prior to actually riding on a ferry around the river, I had NO CLUE just how BIG that stretch of the Hudson river actually is. And, I'd never particularly found the skyscrapers along the water there to be very attractive or anything. But omgosh--when you're actually standing amidst it all? It really is absolutely beautiful. Simply gorgeous. The water's much clearer than I'd ever imagined it would be. It was a lesson for me as well, about how truly unfair it is for pple. to judge/form opinions on a particular area/region solely based upon what we have either read or seen in the news (i.e. Capt. Sully's Hudson river landing, the days following 9/11).

Plus, what topped it off even more for me was being there around Memorial Day--they have this HUGE Hudson river event I'd never even heard about before called 'Fleet Week'. The USN & USMC ships all parade down the river into port to dock for the week and--I'm telling you--watching that procession is nearly just indescribable. You'd absolutely love it, I know you would. Y'all should try to make it up there again someday to see that. There wasn't a dry eye in the group of pple. I was traveling with, but it was due to just how damned proud and grateful it makes you feel to be an American.

Bayou Baysage is geauxing to Nouveau York! Lol

Have a safe & great trip!!

Unknown said...

Hi, JaPB! Just got back from the big city a few hours ago. It was a great trip. We spent 3 full days in museums. We didn't do the boat around the island or any kind of tour. That was somehow something that didn't get done because time didn't allow. We traveled the length and breadth of Manhattan on the subway, and I find myself more and more curious about that amazing feat of engineering. More in the blog tomorrow. An amazing place. Truly.