Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Where Does This Belong?


Not on the front page of a major U.S. newspaper, that's where. Now let me tell you how nuts some people who should know better are. The Washington Post ran this picture on the front page of the paper last week and the paper's Ombundsman is still hearing from disgusted, upset, and angry readers. And the vast majority of them are not homophobes. There are probably many like me, supporters of gay rights, even of gay marriage, who simply don't want this kind of thing on the front page of the damn newspaper where kids can see it, and where even grown-ups can't help but see it. Call me a fossil, but there it is. What do you think?

For the record the ombundsman defended both the picture and its placement on the front page. Said pictures "capture reality" and "reflect the historical significance" of what's occurring. OK, fine. Then let's have pictures of dead Palestinians, Iraqis, Americans, Afghans with their guts running in the streets or half their heads blown away. On the front page. That's even more real than this shot of wedded bliss.

Update I: I changed the original title and first sentence of the original piece as the result of a note from a friend I've known for 15 years or so. I trust the revision shows more sensitivity. It does reflect more accurately the content of the piece.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Your leading question, "Do you like this?" makes it unnecessary to read your following commentary. It's quite obvious that you have a major problem with men showing such affection (this is, afterall, just an affectionate goodbyw kiss rather than "frenching" or some other form of expression more appropriate in more intimate surroundings). As a man who has personally exchanged physically affectionate gestures with you (i.e., hugs and even kisses on the cheek), I am disturbed that you would take the time to rail against such an innocent depiction of love. Perhaps a more objective question would have been "Does this bother or upset you?" I hope that your response and those of you other readers would have been different in that case.

Unknown said...

Fair enough. I should have been more sensitive in forming the original question, and as a result of your note, I will. But, my friend, before going off on me, you should consider that I never said a word about the photo or the show of affection. I don't particularly have a major problem with men showing affection. What I objected to, and still do, is the editorial decision by the Post putting it on the front page of the paper. A photo like this is bound to upset a =lot= of people, so what could possibly be going through their heads? Especially at a time newspapers are under siege. Its placement upset me, and as the piece pointed out, I support gay rights.