Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Arianna's on Top of It

I've been catching up on all the "Colbert Report's" I've not seen because of the recent trip, and tonight I watched one from a few days ago had Arianna Huffington as a guest. Now, aside from her alluring accent and looks, I have to say I pretty much agree with her whatever she says about politics. Plus, I've seen her many times on television, and I don't think I've ever seen her lose her cool. (Of course, she doesn't sit down and chat with a-holes such as Glen Beck, Bill O'Reilly, or people of that ilk.) She and I almost always agree, so is it strange that I consider her a truly sensible person of the left? Take the latest piece in the HP. She takes Obama to task--complete with numerous quotes from the campaign stump and documents--for fudging away the promises he made on health care reform. I.e., cutting a deal with loathsome Big Pharm, toeing their line on the extent of price cuts they are willing to take over the next ten years--which basically means giving up the option for negotiating drug prices for Medicare; Big Pharm denies this--plus expressing willingness to scuttle the public option on the whole plan. She points out, as I have, that to do these things is to throw away the cost savings that are so essential to making reform mean something. Apparently, she's like me: afraid that the administration is going to cave to the mindless but increasingly loud and nasty opposition. I think this is a well-placed fear.

No comments: