Sunday, March 15, 2009

Huge Bonuses (Our Money)

The headline on the New York Times story says it all:

"AIG Planning Huge Bonuses After $170 Billion Bailout"

Get this:

The bonuses will be paid to executives at A.I.G.’s financial products division, the unit that wrote trillions of dollars’ worth of credit-default swaps that protected investors from defaults on bonds backed in many cases by subprime mortgages.

The bonus plan covers 400 employees, and the bonuses range from as little as $1,000 to as much as $6.5 million. Seven executives at the financial products unit were entitled to receive more than $3 million in bonuses.

I'll bet there's a whole bunch of people that "as little as a $1,000" sounds like a lot of money.

Now you tell me. How much longer are the American people going to put up with this crap? I don't have to rehash the whole horrible story for you. Since these people almost brought down the entire financial system last year, we've had to cough up billions on four separate occasions to keep their company from going under. And since that time the country's unemployment has reached 8.1 percent (double it to get the real figure). Thousands more people have had their houses foreclosed. All the predictions continue to be dire.

And the fat cats at AIG are rewarding themselves with millions for bringing their company to its knees. Words have not been invented to express my outrage at this gross, blatant injustice being perpetrated upon us. If I have to read one more time that these bonuses are required to keep the best people from leaving . . . I mean WTF! The "best" people? You mean the ones who sent the largest insurance company in the world to intensive care? The ones who have saddled my progeny out to who knows how many generations with crippling debt? The ones who have visited misery on millions of people? These bastards are going to pay themselves millions of dollars with OUR money?

The story says the company is legally bound to pay these bonuses. Well, let's hire us some lawyers and undo the legalities. This is beyond outrageous.

I'm a non-violent person myself, but I don't think I'd protest too loudly if somebody is angry enough to break the knee caps of a few of these greedy bastards.

OK. I'll be better in the morning.

No comments: