Saturday, May 29, 2010

Beyond Awful

The latest attempt, the so-called "top kill" that the media has been trumpeting for the past few days, failed. I'm not going to be turning handsprings over whatever new idea BP comes up with after this one to plug the now indescribably catastrophic oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico. I simply refuse to get excited about any more announcements about fixes from this company.

It won't be but a matter of days before other gulf shores are going to be hosting a foul pollutant on the land. God only knows what this is doing in the sea, but the results on land become more horrific every day. Pictures like the one on the left almost make me cry. I am a bird lover, and I've become even more of one as I've gotten older. These creatures are beautiful and of great benefit to humans. They don't deserve to be treated like this. How many thousands are going to be in this state? How many thousands are going to die because of this mess.

The fact is here, BP really has no idea how to halt this thing. Every idea they've come up with has failed. Indeed, not even have they come close on the several methods they have tried. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around the scale of this disaster. It makes me so profoundly sad.

No comments: