Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Yes, But What Are You Going to Do with It?

The question in the title is a familiar one to people who are working towards a degree in one of the humanities. I heard it even back in those prehistoric days when I was in college. Apparently, it's being asked today with great frequency.

I personally find the graphic to the right pretty depressing. I'm the product of a liberal education, now in the autumn of life, and I would not have traded my expertise in history; my love for the written word, the arts, fine music; and a fascination with the big questions posed by philosophy and religion for all the tea in China. I've been shaped by my liberal arts education. What sensitivity and tolerance I've been able to cultivate are direct descendants of my education, which began back in my high school days of Latin and Homeric Greek, classes in poetry, and regular written exercises everyone, no exceptions, was required to write. During the course of my schooling, one lesson stood out above all others: Language is important. It is key. How to understand it, interpret it, use it effectively. We were taught that language could be used to deceive as well as to enlighten, uplift, or transport information. And we learned how to spot those deceptions and the faulty logic that underpinned them. It's called critical thinking, and judging by the work I regularly see from college students in my online classes, it's a skill that is simply not being taught to anyone anymore. Apparently, now that we're in tough times, the little remnant of those students who are honing such skills is going to shrink even further.

According to this New York Times article, the humanities are under increasing pressure in colleges and universities to justify their very existence. The traditional reason for studying them--"a traditional liberal arts education is, by definition, not intended to prepare students for a specific vocation. Rather, the critical thinking, civic and historical knowledge and ethical reasoning that the humanities develop have a different purpose: They are prerequisites for personal growth and participation in a free democracy, regardless of career choice."--is simply not good enough anymore. Study of subjects that help you to appreciate what and who you are, to mold you into a more rounded human being, to address questions that lie at the core of what it means to be human does nothing for the almighty, the wretched, the accursed bottom line. Our god, our master, our beloved.

"[T]he humanities are under greater pressure than ever to justify their existence to administrators, policy makers, students and parents. Technology executives, researchers and business leaders argue that producing enough trained engineers and scientists is essential to America’s economic vitality, national defense and health care."

Notice the array of people the humanities have to answer to. I myself don't see any particular compelling reason to regard the pressure from any of these categories of people something I should lose sleep over. All these types, but especially business leaders, technology executives, and policy makers aren't exactly renowned for their humanistic approach to life. In fact, it's these people who have largely brought us to our current nadir. As for students, I've always argued that it was the collective madness of the 1960s that empowered the students to control the curricula in universities. Talk about something illogical and counter-intuitive.

But the decline of the humanities (and the concomitant rise of national brutishness, something that is already widespread and growing) seems to be an irreversible trend. Just in the last three months, over two dozen universities have dropped their searches for teachers of religion and philosophy. And we read that some large state universities "routinely" turn away students looking for courses in the humanities. This country is determined to hasten its demise as a culture that deserves to be remembered by anybody. A thousand years from now, assuming humanity still exists, this country if it's noticed at all will be remembered as nation of soulless consumers who sank out of sight in their own self-created morass of greed, ignorance, violence, short-sighted hedonism, and rapacious acquisitiveness. A forgettable nation of barbarians.

7 comments:

Just Me said...

Oh good Lord, UT. Don't get me started on this one. I know few coming out of those coveted programs who can write a good sentence, let alone do critical thinking. My poor husband's writing skills have been reduced to acronyms.

I'm with you. No one seems to care that students can't identify mythological references, that the only Shakespeare they've read is Romeo and Juliet, that they know very little about history, etc. More importantly, why doesn't anyone think you should learn things that might not make you money? It's gotten to the point that it's not even practical to get a degree in something that's not business, tech, or medical related because you will never be able to pay back your tuition costs.

Thanks for making me angry all over again. You're right about the graph being depressing.

Unknown said...

Sorry to get you riled up, hon. Alas, Leah, we are a dwindling tribe. It makes you wonder when a program that produces people who cannot write a decent sentence, much less paragraph, can be described as "coveted."

Tuition costs are just another burden that's been added onto the backs of those who would love to study literature or philosophy or another humanity. I didn't think of this impediment in addition to all the others.

Everybody's studying business. You're right. Nobody's studying life. No wonder people can fall for the most transparent of illogical formulations and arguments. No wonder they can concelebrate their own boorishness with a role model like George W. Bush. No wonder they can embrace a dufus bimbo like Sarah Pallin.

The results of our folly are all around us.

MHB said...

Hey, mate. I just came across your blog on google after looking for this very topic. The reason for this is that I am starting University next week and am studying liberal arts (a Bachelor of Arts degree in Australia), my subject being History, Media Studies, Philosophy and Sociology.

I am worried and enlightened by your writings for a few reasons. One, I love the fact that you have expressed that you have shown such personal growth from studying liberal arts and have gained such a profound knowledge from it. At the same time I am angered by the wide stigma held by everyone that studying these things are "useless" in modern times and will get you nowhere in life. Bullshit, I say. I think I've gotten to the point where I don't even care where this will take me after uni, I just want to gain knowledge and be able to think more in depth than people pigeon holed into a uni degree where they are trained for ONE purpose. It's a shame humanities is how it is in modern times... the world needs more thinkers who can reason and discuss the finer things in life properly.

MHB said...

Oh, and I love what you said here:

"Everybody's studying business. You're right. Nobody's studying life."

It's very true.

Just Me said...

When I brought this up with Mike, he gave me a really interesting perspective on it. He thinks that the business people are responsible for the whole thing, and all the non-lib arts people are mad at them too. He claims there is an element of "art" in all the sciences, medicine, etc., but that scientists can't study anything unless it's profitable. The really cool and cutting edge stuff doesn't go anywhere because it can't get funded. Mike was unable to really do anything with the information he was most excited about (artificial intelligence) because when you go to work for Intel (a pretty good catch, I'm told), you code what they want because it makes them money.

How bleak that money has even ruined the fun for the "money making" professions.

Unknown said...

Marcus: hey great. Nice to hear from down under. What can I say but keep the faith. You're always going to be thought at least slightly daft--ir not totally bonkers-- for choosing to study something so useless as the great creative minds and artistic achievements of the past and present. I like your attitude, to hell with them all. And I wish you the greatest success in your university studies. Thanks for writing.

Unknown said...

Leah, I think Mike is correct about the artistry involved in science. And indeed he is exposed firsthand to the stranglehold corporations have on applied science in this country, and I don't exclude computer science from this observation. Everything in scientific research lives or dies by funding. It's like representatives constantly having to raise campaign money. At the end of either process the recipient of the money is beholden to the donor. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Bleak indeed. People have no idea of the power corporations wield in this country. Their tentacles are everywhere. The bothersome thing is that because people aren't trained to think and analyze and be skeptical, they can be easily manipulated.