Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Beneath Contempt

I'm a nice guy. I try to be nice to people. I pride myself on being tolerant of a wide range of thought and opinion. But there are some people that, I'm sorry, I simply cannot abide. One of them is the despicable little gutter snipe George Will. Unlike the late William F. Buckley, his superior in intellect and personality, Will is one of these highly educated conservatives who, it always struck me, basically looks down his long Pulitzer Prize nose and sniffs at all us underlings. Here's a guy who still thinks Ronnie Reagan was correct, for Pete's sake! If the Republican party likes it, Will likes it, with few exceptions. Sarah Palin was one.

But I digress. I simply wanted to pass on this tale I got from Tom Tomorrow.

It must be unpleasant for Will to get used to blogs, because he’s spent his entire career with total impunity. Here’s a funny story of Noam Chomsky’s from the book Understanding Power about a column Will wrote in 1982:


CHOMSKY: [A] few years ago George Will wrote a column in Newsweek called “Mideast Truth and Falsehood,” about how peace activists are lying about the Middle East, everything they say is a lie. And in the article, there was one statement that had a vague relation to fact: he said that Sadat had refused to deal with Israel until 1977. So I wrote them a letter, the kind of letter you write to Newsweek—you know, four lines—in which I said, “Will has one statement of fact, it’s false; Sadat made a peace offer in 1971, and Israel and the United States turned it down.” Well, a couple days later I got a call from a research editor who checks facts for the Newsweek “Letters” column. She said: “We’re kind of interested in your letter, where did you get those facts?” So I told her, “Well, they’re published in Newsweek, on February 8, 1971″—which is true, because it was a big proposal, it just happened to go down the memory hole in the United States because it was the wrong story. So she looked it up and called me back, and said, “Yeah, you’re right, we found it there; okay, we’ll run your letter.” An hour later she called again and said, “Gee, I’m sorry, but we can’t run the letter.” I said, “What’s the problem?” She said, “Well the editor mentioned it to Will and he’s having a tantrum; they decided they can’t run it.” Well, okay.
This little story tells you more about George Will than anything else you're going to read about him.

And then there trolls like radio talk show jockey Bill Cunningham. I'll just quote this creep for you.

"[P]oor people were not and are not poor because they lack money. They're poor because they lack values, ethics, and morals."

That's enough for me right there. This is a contemptible idiot, and yet he's out there spewing his poison over the air waves, maybe even as we speak. You can find more of his b.s. here and This is a truly evil person, in my opinion. Our air waves are just full of this kind of hate talk. All the time. Gives you a nice warm fuzzy, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Montag said...

Great post.

It's all about the thing that obsesses me: the creation of the story of what is real.

Reality is the story we repeat over and over again...or what we believe in.
Essentially, our beliefs are nothing but repetitions we have become way too familiar with.

And case in point: the right wing stories in America are so many and so intense that they are able to attack the vary basis of the Christian religion while they spew their right wing vile Sermon on the Mount:
-damned are the poor, for they lack values.
-the poor shall not see God, for they have no ethics.

We are so screwed up, it's frightful. We have to take religion back from the monsters that are running loose.

Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Montag,

I am so right down the line with you on these observations. Especially the "we're so screwed up, it's frightful" remark. I cannot shake the nagging fear I have that we as a country are only one trigger event from a revival of fascism in the land of the free and the home of the brave. And of course it will be sanctioned by religion and done in the name of protecting our liberties. The obscenity that's been made of Christianity on the right in this country . . . well, you've pegged it.

People think I'm crazy. Everybody around me seems to living in this gauzy unreal place where everything will stay the same, where history doesn't happen, especially to them. Of course, I'm don't live down in one of the many hell holes of this country, among the desperates whom we've managed to keep locked up and drugged up all these years. I cannot give voice to these fears anywhere without being considered a moronic alarmist.

All by way of saying thanks for the boost.

Montag said...

Your reply seems very familiar to me.
I will try to be brief, yet not obscure, leaving it to some future time to go into more detail:

For years, I have had a "nagging" sense of disaster. Since America was an Empire and the Dow was at 15,000 and house values gained 20% per year, I was considered crazy not only by others, but also by myself.

Then 2008 happened, and a fearful clarity dawned on me.I can only hope that I am still crazy, because I do not like the images I remember.