Saturday, September 20, 2008

& Now for Something Completely Different

I was talking to my daughter the other day and telling her that I really do have to sometimes get off the subject of politics in this blog. Her response: it's your blog and you can write what you want. Well, of course, but it is disturbing to find that politics is something that occupies a too-large amount of your thinking time. So, I'm going to force myself to talk about something else today, despite the severe provocation the events of yesterday have provided. I'll talk about that sometime this weekend.

I ran across this site a few days ago with the intriguing title: "Five Questions that Will Change Your Life." So naturally I had to go look. (Actually, addressing only one question critically is enough. That question is: WHY? But that's another entry.) I was wondering what question I could ask that could change my life at this stage. Or, better, do I really want my life changed at this stage? I think not. But I digress.

So here are the magical questions:
  1. What else could this mean?
  2. Who can help me?
  3. What am I grateful for?
  4. What's my end game?
  5. What can I learn from this?
OK. I'm absolutely fine with four of these questions as is. I have a problem with #4, but it's probably from the way it's worded. In repulsive business speak. So I went to the link provided for further explanation of the questions, and find that #4 is as I expected. In plain, less-obnoxious English it's: what's my goal?

I found myself wondering who in the hell could possibly be out there that doesn't ask these questions. They are as natural to me as breathing. But apparently there's this huge clientele out there for the tribe of motivational consultants that never thought to ask such things.

So I leave it to you to decide whether these five questions can change your life. If you're already asking them, you'll have to do an exercise like I'm forced to do: wonder what your life would be like if you didn't ask these questions and haven't asked them from the beginning.

Answer for me: not worth living.

No comments: