Sunday, May 11, 2008

Kicking It Down Under


What the hell is this? Good question, especially since I cannot get bigger image here. Well, what this is is a small fraction of the 1,840 people who stripped down to their bare booties for a photo shoot by the artist Spencer Tunick in an Australian soccer stadium. See all the soccer balls above? You might say they all reverted to their aboriginal state (har!) for the work. You can read the whole story here. I've always wondered why in the world someone would consent to take off all their clothes to participate in one of Turnick's pieces . . . but then upon further reflection, I think if he asked me to do it, I'd say OK. It's a real once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, no? How many could say no that?

I'm not sure what these works of art are supposed to be about or what they're saying, but there's something about myriad--meaning "a whole bunch" "a sizable crowd" "a throng without thongs"--naked bodies all in one place that's just downright thought-provoking (at least for me it is.) Thoughts like "what can these people possibly be thinking?" and "is this what constitutes naked truth?"

I can't help it: I have to show you another one.


This is on a college campus in Mexico City. 18,000 people. Is this amazing, or what?

No comments: