Monday, December 2, 2013

AAA

It stands for abdominal aorta aneurism, and I've got one, as I discovered today. You can read all about it at the link. I'll give you the long and the short of it. It ain't good to have one of these things, and they are going to have to fix it. Major surgery.

This thing was discovered by accident. Off some X-rays of my lower back which were being taken for another reason obviously.

Now, I've had lap-band surgery, and I've had my tonsils and my appendix taken out, and I've had my cataracts removed. But compared to what fixing this problem entails, all those things kinda fade into a minor pastel. This damn thing is a day-glo color. I have to confess to being concerned about this. The doctors don't have the same urgency . . . I have a test on Friday, an appointment a week later with the cardiologist, and then on the following Tuesday a CAT scan of my belly, followed by an appointment with the heart surgeon, the guy who's going to do the fixing. When that will happen is anybody's guess.


In the meantime, I'm left to fret and not do anything "strenuous." I don't like this. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Montag said...

My brother just had an iliac abdominal aneurysm that began to leak before he discovered it.

The doctors went in through the legs with minimally invasive surgery, and he is all better.

I had a battery of tests done at the same hospital within two weeks, just to be on the safe side.

You are in my thoughts, etc.

John Dias said...

Hang in there brother!! I had hoped to see you for Christmas down here in B.R. but looks like you have some healing to do! Keep us posted.

Unknown said...

Hey, John -- we might be just delayed, maybe a New Year's trip. Depends on what the heart surgeon says. My preference is "git 'er done."

Unknown said...

Yeah, Montag, that's one of the two options. My brother has had it done three times for aneurisms in other places. Thanks for the thoughts and concern.