Monday, August 30, 2010

Unutterable

I've had occasion to sing the praises of James Kuntsler before, and I think I've told you that I never ever miss his blog which he posts once a week on Mondays. In one of the rain reasons I like this guy, aside from the fact that I agree what he says about peak oil and what that means about where the country is going, is that he writes in such a slashing style. Much in the same vein as Matt Taibbi, his stuff brims with picturesque, imaginative, and biting metaphors. His disdain for the dimwitted--well, more accurately, the uninformed, the complacent, the knee-jerk Right--is palpable and quite often funny.

So it was with some degree of anticipation that I read today what he has to say about Glenn Beck and his "Honor America" shindig on Saturday. Get a load of his opening:
     Here come the Corn Pone Nazis!
     Fox News entertainer, former drug addict, and professional weeper Glenn Beck took center stage at the Lincoln Memorial exactly forty-seven years to the day after Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech for a rally dedicated to "restoring honor," which is tea party code for the otherwise unutterable idea: get that nigger out of the White House! (despite the attendance of a few African-American shills on the scene).
 I have read several pieces now by people trying to understand what kind of "philosophy" or "goals" or "unifying ideas" characterize the Tea Party. Nobody I've read seems to be able to, until now. As I said, Kuntsler as a way of cutting through the crap and fog and getting at the heart of the matter. I don't doubt for a single moment a substantial portion of the Tea Party movement's "program" can be boiled down to this unutterable idea. And unlike Doctor Laura, Kuntsler knows how to apply the n-word properly.Yes, blatant racism is indeed unutterable. But to think that people who subscribe to it – never kid yourself: racism in this country flourishes – are actually having a noticeable effect in the body politic is pretty disturbing.

2 comments:

Just A Passerby said...

"Corn Pone Nazis" - LMAO

I wonder if they're any relation to the Tin Foil Hat members brigade?

I was mostly apathetic towards Beck's big weekend deal until catching Chris Matthews' program on Tuesday evening. He opened it madder than a wet hornet over the fact that Beck had that hateful "Christian" pentecostal Texas preacher guy there as one of the speakers for the event. John Haggee (sp?). I'd never paid any attention to him in the past, just b/c his style of preaching is a big turn-off for myself personally. But Chris (who is R+C, btw) played video clips of this preacher guy from his tv evangelical program where he correlated how the Catholic Church was one of the apocalypse's demon-beasts or whatever. While he was spitting out all of his venom & visibly perspiring like he was in the midst of suffering a massive coronary, he was using a long pointer to point to some evil demon-dragon-human drawing image posted on the wall in the background. It was so vile and shocking for me that I can't hardly recall anything he spouted off about Catholics et al, I literally sat there with my jaw wide open throughout the video Chris showed. Now, I've seen & heard A LOT of negative knocks about Catholicism before, mostly due to the region of my home state that I spent my first 30yrs in, but this guy surpassed even the worst of the worst I'd ever heard/seen/witnessed before. It was truly sickening and disgusting.

And entirely hypocritical, considering Beck's a Mormon---now you KNOW the good Brother whoever has a trunk full of hateful words & beliefs against a religion that wasn't even a religion until the 19th century!! WTF?? How Beck, and the Reverend too, are able to act all fake & pleasant to each other when they feel the need to do so and then go back to their isolated religious worldly views/opinions where they reject nearly all who aren't followers of what they believe in, is one of the greatest mysteries I've just never been able to comprehend at all.

Sorry for the rant--guess it bothered me more than I'd been aware that it did! LOL :)

Unknown said...

Rant away. You are in good and sympathetic company here. As you know, if you've been reading along here for a little bit, I have my problems with the hypocrisy of religion. Nowhere, however, is it's so blatant and so repulsive as it is with some of these evangelicals. Catholics should be so used to being called the Antichrist and the Whore of Babylon – it's been going on for centuries – that they take it with a certain degree of equanimity. That attitude, however, doesn't carry over to bile and venom that you witness at a supposedly "religious" event, like our friend Glenn Beck's little gathering on the mall.