Monday, August 30, 2010

Unutterable

I've had occasion to sing the praises of James Kuntsler before, and I think I've told you that I never ever miss his blog which he posts once a week on Mondays. In one of the rain reasons I like this guy, aside from the fact that I agree what he says about peak oil and what that means about where the country is going, is that he writes in such a slashing style. Much in the same vein as Matt Taibbi, his stuff brims with picturesque, imaginative, and biting metaphors. His disdain for the dimwitted--well, more accurately, the uninformed, the complacent, the knee-jerk Right--is palpable and quite often funny.

So it was with some degree of anticipation that I read today what he has to say about Glenn Beck and his "Honor America" shindig on Saturday. Get a load of his opening:
     Here come the Corn Pone Nazis!
     Fox News entertainer, former drug addict, and professional weeper Glenn Beck took center stage at the Lincoln Memorial exactly forty-seven years to the day after Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech for a rally dedicated to "restoring honor," which is tea party code for the otherwise unutterable idea: get that nigger out of the White House! (despite the attendance of a few African-American shills on the scene).
 I have read several pieces now by people trying to understand what kind of "philosophy" or "goals" or "unifying ideas" characterize the Tea Party. Nobody I've read seems to be able to, until now. As I said, Kuntsler as a way of cutting through the crap and fog and getting at the heart of the matter. I don't doubt for a single moment a substantial portion of the Tea Party movement's "program" can be boiled down to this unutterable idea. And unlike Doctor Laura, Kuntsler knows how to apply the n-word properly.Yes, blatant racism is indeed unutterable. But to think that people who subscribe to it – never kid yourself: racism in this country flourishes – are actually having a noticeable effect in the body politic is pretty disturbing.
Post a Comment